Monday, March 16, 2015

People, buy your fries at the corner store

Do you ever wonder about your old home?
twitter-logo.png@DarkRiveri Copyright 2015 Darkriveri. All Rights Reserved.


The other day I was updating my timeline information on my Facebook account. You know, that neat little timeline where you put events and pictures from your past into an historical document of yourself. Well I came across a scary thing. I googled an old address just for the hell of it ( I lived there for a few years in the late 70’s). I did not really think an address would pop up; but sure enough, my old address did. And not just the address, but a complete newspaper article. 12110 Pierrefonds Blvd.JPG
The apartment building was involved in a nasty fire in 2011 — Floors 1-3 engulfed.


The following is actually sourced from CBC News.


CBC News Posted: Mar 30, 2011 7:43 AM ET
An overnight fire at a three-storey apartment building in the borough of Pierrefonds Roxboro on Montreal's West Island has forced about 200 people from their homes.


The fire broke out about 9 p.m. ET at 12110 Pierrefonds Boulevard. It took 125 firefighters several hours to put out the flames.


“People, buy your fries at the corner store”


A pot of cooking oil left on a hot stove was the cause of the fire that has left 40 Pierrefonds residents homeless and temporarily dislodged about 200 people.


“People, buy your fries at the corner store,” Montreal fire department spokesman Jean Leblanc said Wednesday morning as he stood outside the burned wreckage.
li-building.jpg


“On the first floor, when the people knew they had smoke in their apartment, they opened the patio doors. The fire then travelled up the outside of the building, jumping from balcony to balcony” he said.


mi-door2.jpg
The front doors have been padlocked, the power has been turned off and workers have barricaded a section of the building because of fears it could collapse. It's not clear when or or how many tenants will be able to return to their apartments.



So obviously things change and life moves on after you leave, and I can count my lucky stars that my Facebook timeline does have to have events like this posted.